It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Alt part no
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:30 am 

Looking at upgrading my 55 amp alt to a bigger unit like on Misty's Coronet, would like a part no for the one that charges the most at idle.

Post subject: Re: Alt part no
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 am 

Ashley just fitted a BXH1250A, it's from a V8 commo. Seems to have fixed all his electrical problems. ($471 retail price)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:23 am 

The one on Misty's car is off Darryl's ute and I think its 100 or 120amp. When you have a spare hour or two ring Darryl :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, its a BXH1250a, got it from a mob on ebay, 120 amps max, was good for 60 or more at idle, was 330$ with postage, genuine Bosch brand new, internal reg, uses an injector plug.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VS-Commodore ... 0509466124

Ace put me onto these alternators in the first place, he runs a magna one I think, pretty much the same internally but fitting was more suitable for his mounting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:01 pm 

While we are talking alternators, Whats involved in going to an internal reg one??
I am pulling the engine out and am going to attempt to hide some of the wiring and was wondering what to do witht he regulator. If I fit a internal one do I do away with the wiring or leave it as is and just not refit the regulator . Whata good alternator to replace my current standard one. I need a removable pulley one so I can refit the gilmer set up

Cheers
Shaun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:24 pm 

the one dad and darryl quoted. is 80 amp idle and 120amp. will take some work to fit. i had to space it out more and use a 3rd bottom pulley, but fixed all my igntion issue with fans and headlights etc. my headlights even stopped flickering at idle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:06 pm 

My old girl runs a Powermaster single wire Alt on it. Rated at 80amp idle and 140 amp but actually tested at 89amps at idle and 153 amps (they come with an individual test card). It is part number 8-47529 and is about $200 from Summit or the likes. It has a twin pulley on it but can be swapped over easily enough, im running a billet fan and pulley on mine now.

Bryan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 am 

Thanks for the info, i would like something that is easy to fit without doing my head in. and get it fitted before Dragfest
leaning towards the powermaster like in Bryan's AP
cheers, Peter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 pm 

Peter, ive got a brand spanking new 1 still in the box with paperwork? Yours for 200 bucks if your keen! Saves you getting 1 over!

Bryan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

old374 wrote:
While we are talking alternators, Whats involved in going to an internal reg one??
I am pulling the engine out and am going to attempt to hide some of the wiring and was wondering what to do witht he regulator. If I fit a internal one do I do away with the wiring or leave it as is and just not refit the regulator . Whata good alternator to replace my current standard one. I need a removable pulley one so I can refit the gilmer set up

Cheers
Shaun

Hey Shaun, ditch that 40 year old greasy wiring, and just fit up fresh stuff for what the alternator requires, if its a one wire hook up like Bryans then its just your main cable, as the alternator self excites;ie you give it a rev and it starts working, although when I had one of them on my voltmeter would be on 15 most of the time as I don't think they have load sensing and while I never boiled the battery it did feel really hot after a long drive, so otherwise its just your standard 2-3 wire hook up. Main cable, signal wire to turn it on, and load sensing. So if you have electric fuel pump, NOS solenoid, thermo fans, big stereo, good ignition and you're using all that stuff at nightime while its raining-you going to want something decent, the magna one Ace has was a straight bolt up on the smallblock, or most one wire alternators have the provision to hook up 2/3 wire style as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:04 pm 

Cheers Dazza.... I read that about the 1 wire things so I want to go back toa standard wired one with internal regulator. What was the one Ace got do you know. Was it an older style one. Need one with a removable pulley and want to keep it arounf the same period ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 pm 

Tests done on mine havent revealed anything like that, sits at aprox 12.8 at idle and raises as revs rise, it self excites at 800 alt rpms so fires up straight away. Its still running the same battery and alt from when i bought it off Ian, ive had the car about 2 1/2 years now plus however long Ian had them in there before that. These Powermaster Alts can be wired either way as well.

Bryan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:13 pm 

Cheers Brian, What sthe longest trip youve done in it , I regularly do 7-800k round trips and at Highway speeds, so thats why I am unsure

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:02 pm 

Yeah, cant say the old girl does trips like that these days but i do regularly take it to work (I work in Virginia, drive from New Beith), and do the odd cruise here and there, drive to the track but not massive trips.

She runs a 50gpm Meziere waterpump, big juice guzzling 3300cfm Spal thermo, HE ignition, air/fuel meter, CD, lights etc and up untill recently a dirty big Magnafuel pump as well and hasnt given me any grief so far, the ol girl can be off the road for a few months at a time and i just whack the battery back in and fire her over again with more than plenty of juice still in the battery.

The Powermaster is just a modified GM alt so i cant see reliability being an issue with them but i guess its each to their own really, there is always someone that has a bad experience with anything out there doesnt matter what it is or what brand it is.

Bryan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:31 am 

Quote:
Peter, ive got a brand spanking new 1 still in the box with paperwork? Yours for 200 bucks if your keen! Saves you getting 1 over!

Thanks for the offer Bryan, but as luck would have it summit have dispatched the order 27-9, 10-16 days i-parcel. dammit! (big box of goodies )
do you have any photos of the alt in your engine bay. were the spacers provided enough,any tips on fitment?
mine is std waterpump so should be straight forward.
cheers Peter