It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: '71 VH CHARGER
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:39 am 

Here is my charger freshly dipped and stripped to bare metal prior to being etch primed and then on to the body shop for repairs and paint.

Once all the paint was off there was only a little rust - some on the inner wing where the battery had eaten it and on both rear quarters where road grit had blown up from the rear tyres. Other than that - all pretty good.

About 2 weeks now before it gets into colour - (hot mustard)

Post subject: Re: '71 VH CHARGER
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:10 pm 

Starting with a good body it always a +.....what's your plans for it??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:01 am 

I'm busy with the engine at the moment, had a lot of parts powder coated, sub frame, (k frame) suspension parts, metal part of the dash board etc all gloss black. Sump, push rod cover, bell housing flywheel cover etc, hemi orange. Rocker cover, metalic grey looks awesome if I say so myself. As to what I'm going to do with it, get it back together, run it till I get fed up with it sell it and do something else. I saw a MK2 Zephyr Ute (bad word on this site) a while back that looked pretty cool so who knows. By the way this Charger is a matching numbers car if that counts for anything.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:03 pm 

Giday mate.
Nice to see another car & member in here.
Diping & stripping does an Excellent job but, i have seen a body done this way & epoxy-primed straight after, & then repaired & painted after that, & then left in a dry shed for 6 years, Only to find that a white & greenish colly-flour crap Growing out of the pinch-welds & seems EVERYWHERE.
My advise is to Thoroughly spray all seems , double-panels, pinch-welds with something that will leach back into all these areas whilst they are still accessible, as the residue of the acid-bath is never fully neutralized in the WASH-BATH.
Any way, keep us up to date with your build-thread...
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:53 am 

Here are some pics of the parts I have had powder coated.

The shell was dipped using a much more up to date method than the procedures used previously. First the body is heated to around 300-400°C, hence why the lead can be seen to have run out of the seams in the pictures. At that temperature paint, under seal, filler etc flakes and falls away, then it is allowed to cool after which it is dipped in phosphoric acid to remove rust. (phosphoric acid is what they put in fizzy drinks to give that sharp taste, it's also the main ingredient in that teeth whitening stuff you get from the chemist) After dipping it is thoroughly rinsed and then baked again to ensure all moisture evaporates and nothing is left in the seams and box sections. There is a short youtube video you can see here.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqtZUtZzzZk