It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mini mopar help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:20 pm 

Hello out there , just wondering if anyone can shed some light on engine swaps in the early Lancer stuff. I have the LB Hatch and have stumbled on a Starion with a 2lt Turbo 5 speed set up. Its a 4G63BT SOHC engine with the wide gearbox. Looks near identical to the 4G32B in the car now. Apart from the injection side of things anyone shed some light on what might be needed to swap it over. The experts on the Galant/ Sigma forums are not too helpful at present.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Mini mopar help
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:39 am 

HI Shawn,
i Have done many a swap with Galants & lancers (Celeste-O/S) in the 80s & 90s on friends & my own vehicles.
The LA,LB, LC (Aussie-coded ) Lancers only had the Saturn engines,
while in the USA LB,LC coupe-Styles where marketed as a Plymouth ARROW with a ASTRON 2.6 & 5 speed?( They used the longer firewall to Radiator support panel dimentions & a longer Bonnet which made this car the best choice for larger engine swaps)
the remnants of this marketing program dribbled into Australia in cosmetics only with our LC lancers were sold with an arrow Decal. on the bonnet

Most all Mitsubishi. north-south mounted engines will drop straight down & bolt into the Cross-member, EG: a pajero 3.5L, even the Diesels.
The biggest issue we experienced was the steering box which is mounted on the outside of the chassis rails on the bodies of the donor vehicles
( scorpion, sigma, starion, Floor-pans) & then on the inside of the Galants & lancers, / (Celeste), if the galant or lancer was an Auto, it came with a larger Tunnel to accomadate the trans, which suited the larger-bell-housing engines better ( but not necessary) .

Your install issues may be Installing a Hydraulic clutch master-cyl,,( starion), speedo - same-same.,tailshaft/-custom,make a hybrid trans-mount, radiator simple, Your biggest probs will be the management system which if is original will cause you some issues particularly if your donor is the JA, / early JB( pre unleaded / higher HP output )
You will need to address the poor body handling Issues(High-speed wallowing & axle-TRAMP) as well as axle ratio & Brakes
These 2 litre Starions in stock condition would easliy top the speedo & the UK/USA starions with the MK2 Astron 2.6 turbo go 160mph.
You might give my a call, as i am sittin on my Bottom in recovery ATM.
Steve.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:48 am 

Hi Again,
on second thoughts, if i was going down this road, id use more commonly(& modern) available componets.
A Sirus 2.4 litre from a Triton With ( LARGE-PATTERN) gear-box. Since probably 1997,These engines have 7bolt fully-counter-weighted cranks, GIRDLES / MAINBRACES as standard.
Are 4G64 ( S4 =single-cam, 4 valve),multi-point injected, Sohc 16 valve, about 2003 became distributor-less, there are plenty of ECU options avaliable.
& the diff will come in handy as you would be able to swap-chop some higher ratios from challenger/OLDER-2wd Tritons, Pajeros maybe.
most of the later engines are equipped with tube-headers as standard so you can cut the tubes away & use the head-plate as to build/Make a steam-pipe-manifold & add a second hand RB26 turbo .

!
Later,4G64,16 valve engines will far out-breath the early 2-VALVE Starion/cordia/van 2.0 / 2.4 litre heads at much less boost & are now in every wreaking yard.
Dont bother wilth the (same) great-wall-cloned engine either( #hit),
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:02 pm 

Thanks mate, got a bloke up here pretty switched on with the Turbo stuff. He has a couple of little ones off a v6 Mitsi motor. Thinking we might adapt one of those, make a manifold and do a blow through set up. Only want a little bit really, just to liven it up, pretty cool fun through the twisties now ....Any ideas re carbs. Someone mentioned a small holley could be adapted to the manifold ??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:26 pm 

ok,
I assume your staying with the carbed- SATURN 4G32 1600cc now?
Hollley eh, probably use a LPG- Holley-Hat to work with, & seal the throttle shafts. i think now you can get a N/A rising rate fuel-pressure reg that will read low-boost as well?, should be able to re-drill the fly wheel & put a 202-ONE-tonner pressure-plate in there if you experience clutch-slip.
yeah-so which way are you heading?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:53 pm 

Cheers Steve .....
Dont really want to mess about with the car too much, chopping and fitting etc.... So if I can stay with the 32 would be good. Other option would be a little M90 eaton blower but no idea where to start there??

If I go carb/ turbo , need a blow through set up I assume but what is the best carb to use on that manifold ? Would you get a 350/465 holley to fit , or run with a 180 if I can find one ?

So shopping list goes ?

turbo - ?
Exhaust manifold
intercooler
carb
Dizzy mods ?

Cheers