It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Results and wrap up
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:04 am 
Site Admin

What an awesome weekend! Huge thanks to everyone that made the effort to be a part of it. The Warwick dragway folks were really happy with the event, and already I've had a few of the sponsors say they'll definitley be keen to go again next year.
We really can't thank the sponsors enough because they are the ones that gave us the chance to go from a plan on the table to a real live event by putting up the funds to make it happen, and theres always risk involved but they took the chance, gave us a shot and it all worked, so big thanks to

Chrysler Action magazine Nitro magazine Qld Valiant Spares Phantom Performance Auto 1 Stanthorpe

Springclean Gardens Mistymopar Towing LDE Earth moving Camira Mechanical Repairs TJR Bodyworks

Xpose signs Blackbolt Painting Aussie Diffs P and T Carpet steam cleaning

The Qld Chrysler Association, who not only trusted us to throw a couple grand of club money in, but also supported the event all the way.

The Warwick District Dragracing club who were not only easy and fantastic to work with, but gave us a great deal to help get the event off the ground, and I really doubt you would find a nicer bunch of people running a racetrack anywhere.

Obviously you can have all those things in place but if the cars and people don't come you still don't have an event, so to all the racers that bought their cars out, awesome job! Thats what made it such a great weekend and made it work, just so many awesome Mopars! Our highest expectation, or biggest hope was to get 60 racers and we got 61, of which only 5 were not Mopar, but friends with other cool cars.

So many people did so much to help this event work, from spreading the word far and wide to guys like Ian making 2 trips down there to have both his cars racing, and Misty towing his own car out with his "little" truck so that Steve O and another friend could use his big truck to get their cars there, Misty even had his own "grid girls" on the job, thats how he rolls!
Marcus and the Phantom Performance team bringing 4 fast cars and really turning on the action, and guys like Andrew making the drive down in cars with 4.11 diff gears, and the Flashdance team from the Sunshine coast with pro racer Kerstyn taking time out to have a dragracing school with our first time powder puff girls who all came out fighting after that!

Special thanks to the long distance travellers Gary and Joanne Smith all the way from Hervey bay in that immaculate smallblock blue VF sedan with twin little blowers on it, I don't think they even trailered that car down, I think the whole family drove down in it, unloaded everything, raced all weekend, won the trophy and cash in Street, packed it up and drove home again!
Our furtherest travellers were Ken and Matt Willing all the way from Townsville with the wicked Barracuda, and it was great to see them in the final against Eric's yellow Barracuda, an all Barracuda final in Superstreet which Ken and Matt got the winners trophy and cash, Eric the runner up prize amongst some tough competition.

The final in Quick ET was all VF Coupe, the Mongrels 426 white one up against Steve Walkers 360 brown coupe, Ian took the win, well done mate and just reward for all your effort towards this event,

The final in Street which Gary from Hervey Bay won was fought out with none other than Ace in his blue Charger which he had scrambled hard to get ready for this event and slotted his wife Tammy's 318 into, well done mate and sweet reward for getting the Charger there.

The powder puff girls! Well what can I say about them, unbelievable! All first timers, some of which took some persuasion to get behind the wheel initially but then instantly got hooked and wasn't long before they were showing their partners how it was done. Full credit to you all, and it all came down to a nailbiting final between Sue Griffith in her purple VG coupe and Meth Youngberry in her 54 Dodge Kingsway, with Sue taking the winners purse.All the girls made the powder puff class really work, it was awesome!

Steve had slotted a 265 into the coupe for this meeting and he and Sue were sharing the car and I think they took the "most runs of the weekend" award with that car making well over 30 passes between them,

I could go on and on but need to get a photo gallery up and running, and besides everyone I've already thanked I really want to thank Shaun for all his behind the scenes work, couldn't have done it with out him, he did so much for this event and working with him is always successful, and even though him and I might "heat up" once or twice over things along the way we always just seem to be able to keep rolling smoothly, and while it might not always be easy to see what he does he put in an absolutley huge effort for this event, cheers mate.

On a personal note I want to thank the dude Misty for throwing me the keys to his BB left hand drive 4speed manual Dodge Coronet and saying "taking it for a run", thats the angriest car I've driven! Even though he had to go out and redeem himself after I fluffed the gear change!
Likewise Ash Duff for giving me a run in his smooth and fast Charger,
and Andrew sticking to his word and letting me smoke up and race his awesome ute twice! When your foot is flat down in that you wouldn't think you're driving a six, it's such a strong combo.

Also thanks to the guys that came down on Sunday and entered their cars in the show and shine and supportd the event.

Heres the official results,

BRACKET BRACKET SPONSOR

STREET Winner; Gary Smith VF Valiant 360 Burrum Heads Chrysler Action magazine
Runner up Mark Ayson VH Charger 318 Cornubia Phantom Performance
Top Qualifyer Brett Styler CL Valiant 265 8.537sec

SUPERSTREET
Winner Ken-Matt Willing, Plymouth Barracuda 440 Townsville Springclean garden and landscapes
Runner up Eric Sherrard Plymouth Barracuda 440 Redbank Plains Camira mechanical repairs
Top Qualifyer Steve Oliver VJ Valiant ute 440 7.303 sec

QUICK ET Winner Ian Coombe VF Coupe 426 Camira Nitro street/strip magazine
Runner up Steve Walker VF Coupe 360 Burpengary Aussie diffs
Top Qualifyer Tyler Henderson dragster BB 4.868 sec

POWDER PUFF
Winner Sue Griffith VG Coupe 265 Cabbage tree point Mistymopar Towing
Runner up Meth Youngberry Dodge Kingsway Ormeau LDE Earthmoving
Top Qualifyer Rose Coombe Valiant AP6 408 7.664sec

BEST REACTION TIME Steve Walker VF Coupe 360 0.409sec
BEST ET Tyler Henderson BB Dragster 4.882sec
BEST MPH Tyler Henderson BB Dragster 137mph

WARWICK WILDMAN Phil Junkyard dog racing 34 Coupe

SHOW and SHINE

BEST AUSSIE MOPAR
Winner Tom Veness Valiant VC 2 door sedan Qld Valiant Spares
Runner up Rowan Saxby Valiant AP5 sedan P and T Carpets

BEST US MOPAR
Winner Greg Wade Plymouth Cuda Xpose signs
Runner up Stuart Cooper Dodge Kingsway Auto one

BEST MODERN
Winner Dennis Rowbotham PT Cruiser Blackbolt Painting
Runner up Jacqui Brock PT Cruiser TJR Bodyworks

Post subject: Re: Results and wrap up
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:46 pm 
ABSOLUTLY BLARDY AWESUME TO EVERYONE INVOLVED, three cheers deserved all round, just wish I could of stayed longer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:55 pm 

what an awesome weekend.

i would like to say thanks to everyone involved in the event. you guys put in the hard yards and did an awesome job. darryl, shaun and ian to name a few, all the sponsors who supported the event and warwick dragway. everyone i speak to had a ball and is waiting for Mopar Muscle 2011. Thanks to Dad for letting me have a few runs in his charger and to ian for taking me for a ride in the coupe. very much appreciated

Cheers
Ash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:29 pm 

A huge thanks to all involved in putting this event together ,there was never a dull moment , it was freakin awsome , and all the staff at Warwick Dragway I love ya.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:53 pm 

:oops: burnt to a crisp had a ball :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:58 pm 

8) F###kin kick ass 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:43 pm 

bummed i mist it, next year it is :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:48 pm 

:D I HAVE TO AGREE WITH ALL OF YOU ,IT WAS THE BEST WEEKEND OF BEER,RUM,CHOPS,RACING AND ROCKEN ROLL I THINK I HAVE HAD IN OVER 20 YEARS ,THE PEOPLE FROM WARWICK DRAG CLUB WHO ARE ALL VOLENTEERS TO GIVE UP A WEEKEND FOR US, THE QCA FOR RUNNING THE WHOLE THING AND ALL THE RACERS WITH SO MANY QUALITY CARS . I CAN SAY THAT I HAD THE GUYS FROM WARWICK SAY TO ME THAT THEY WERE IMPRESSED WITH THE ATTATUDE AND CLEANLINISS OF US ALL WITH THE WAY WE LEFT THE CAMP GROUNDS .
MYSELF I WOULD LIKE TO THANK DARYL AND SHAWN BECAUCE I KNOW HOW MUCH EFFORT THEY PUT IN TO GET THIS HAPPENING GREAT WORK GUYS AND BRING ON 2011 .
I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SAY THANKS TO ALL THE POWDER PUFF RACERS AS BETWEEN GETTING IN AND OUT OF MY CAR I STOOD AND WATCHED AS MUCH OF YOU ALL AS I COULD AND THE SMILE ON YOUR DIALS WHEN YOU COME BACK AROUND WAS PRICELESS { NOW YOU KNOW WHY WE GET HOOKED } ROSE SAID I CAN SPEND MORE MONEY NOTTTT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:53 am 

That was one of the best racing weekends I have been to. A big Thank you to all involved in the organisation of it, Give your self’s a pat on the back.
Bring on Mopar Muscle 2011............Hopefully I will have a proper MOPAR to race.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:10 pm 

misty wrote:
:oops: burnt to a crisp had a ball :oops:

+ 2 :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:16 pm 

Sorry I haven't posted much earlier but i was pretty rooted by the time I got home.

Anyway,a rundown of our experiences.

The trip Down
Brother Matt (Centurion) and I left Townsville at 8.30am Thursday morning.P!ssed down rain till halfway between Mackay and Rocky then just the odd shower and scud.Otherwise uneventful.We rocked into Callum And DDs place at half past midnight.

The Leadup
Friday saw two main aims achieved.The first was to give Matt a bit of practice getting familiar with the car as he's never driven it in anger and I promised him a few runs.The result was terrorising the northern suburbs and a little less tread on the street rubber.
The second was giving DaveDart a hand with his car.He was already committed to a few jobs on other people's cars and his still needed a lot done to it.Nothing major,just lots and lots of those little things that suck up heaps of time.We also checked how square the car was and how well the two tracks were aligned.A credit to Cal and Dave for how close they got it.And the car showed it by running straight and true.

The Venue
If you've never been to Warwick 1/8th mile track you should.Very attractive surroundings and the track facilities are great for a smaller scale track.

The Track Staff
Can't speak more highly of them.Very friendly and run a very efficient meeting.I commented to one of them how impressed I was with them and he replied "that's because we're all racers too".Explains a lot.

The People
Always great people to mix with.
Caught up with a lot I regard as friends.
Cemented a few relationships with some that I already knew but not real well.
Met a lot of new people that I'm sure I'll run into again.
Unfortuneately there's never enough time to mix with good people.

The Car
Some of you know there was no engine in the car a week before the event as I was upgrading the heads.
We got to the track,changed to slicks,removed aircleaner and apart from adjusting rear pressures and checking oil and water on the sunday morning we didn't touch a thing.Just raced.No timing or jet changes.Nothing.

Saturday Qualifying
We had smiles right from the start.
1st run off the trailer saw a 7.8 which is equal pb for the eighth.
Fiddling with rear pressures got us running very consistant low 7.7s with one 7.6 thrown in for good measure.
My second run was a bit hairy due to incorrect pressures.Had to back off to avoid the wall but still went through for an 8.1.
Matt's 1st run was a disaster.Not enough heat in the slicks saw him all over the track for a very slippery 8.5.
His second run was a very respectable 7.9.
Bear in mind Matt's always been a better driver than me so if he'd have got a 3rd run he'd probably be running the same as me or better.

The Competition
Although I took the win in SuperStreet I can tell you it was no walk in the park.The competition was pretty stiff.
I dialled in at 7.70 and my 3 shootout rounds saw 7.75, 7.76 and 7.74
1st round was against Kiwi Steve Oliver in the red 440 latie ute.He ran a 7.37 on a 7.3 dial in but I cut the better light with a 0.438
2nd round was against that hemi6 galant.He cut a better light than me but he was off his pace with a 8.316 on an 8.15 dial in.
3rd round was against Andrew in the copper coloured CL ute.At that stage both of us were on 2 wins so one of us was going to end the other's finals chances.Unfortuneately Andrew redlit his chances away.Would have been a top race as he ran a 8.432 on a 8.42 dial in.

The Finals
How awesome was it to have 2 barracudas in the finals? A 68 and a 69 and both 440 powered!!!
Didn't start well for me.The burnout trough looked a little dry so I placed the wheels where I thought the most water was.This resulted in the car getting all crossed up in the burnout.I had a feeling the slicks were probably at different temps and I was right.When I left the car didn't run as straight as it should.
Fotuneately I'd cut a good 0.475 light against Eric's 0.536.
Eric ran a 7.54 on a 7.45 dial in against my 7.81 on 7.70 dial in.
The nett result was the win to me by only 41 thousandths of a second.
That's close racing!!!!

The Trip Home
After trophy presentation and packing up we left the strip at 4pm for Cal's place as we had to pick up a 440 and other parts.
We leapfrogged Misty a couple of times on the way back.
After repacking,a tub and a feed we were on the road north at 8.15 pm.
Adammacca's father spotted us going through Mackay abt 9am the following morning.
We got to Torwnsville at 1pm Monday.
Matt grabbed his gear,had a quick tub and was off about 1.45pm.He had another 6hrs drive north before he got home.

Special Thanks
To Callum,his missus Ellie,and DaveDart for putting us up (or is that putting up with us?) in Brisbane.
Also to LilLane for sending a couple of texts for me (coz I don't know how.)
And to Qld Chryslers for putting on a top event.Hopefully it'll become an annual thing and if it stays the same atmosphere as this year's event it'll become one of the "must do's" on a lot of people's calendar each year!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:11 pm 

8) GOOD ON YA KEN,,GLAD YOU ENJOYED YOURSELF AND GOT HOME SAFELY...I AGREE AWSOME WEEKEND AND IM SURE PLENTY OF THE BOYS WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU HERE AGAIN NEXT YEAR.......MMMMMM I,VE GOT A WHOLE YEAR TO PRACTICE MY REACTION TIMES :lol:...GOOD STUFF OLE MATE.... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:25 pm 

:shock: KEN THATS A LOT OF DEDICATION TO TRAVEL THAT FAR I HOPE WE SEE YOU AGAIN NEXT YEAR .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:41 pm 

Big thanks to Ken and Matt and everyone in general that made it to the event. ASll of the stress leading up to it was worth it now its over. Six months off and start organising again ....

Cheers
Shaun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:17 pm 

val440 wrote:
MMMMMM I,VE GOT A WHOLE YEAR TO PRACTICE MY REACTION TIMES :lol)

It wasn't bad though.You were just unlucky enough (or i was lucky) that you caught me on my 2nd best reaction of the weekend :shock: