It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Weekend Program
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:54 am 

Reading on hemi6pack that he got through it OK. I think the roads up there will be stuffed for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:53 pm 

Just wondering with the extreme heat we are having up here at the moment, it was hot as at the Allora show today, and I'm sure a few of you found it pretty warm in Toowoomba swap meet, how does the heat affect the cars racing next weekend? Is it a good thing, or not? I would say it would be good for grip, but how does it affect fuel?

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Mate it will no doubt be hot up there, they don't get as much humidity which is good but the altitude makes for thinner air anyway so usually you need to lean the car off a bit to compensate, and you can generally expect to run a tenth or 2 slower up there due to the thinner air.

I was up that way on friday and it was scorching at Toowoomba and still hot in Warwick but didn't seem quite as bad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:26 pm 

heat makes the track slippery as it sweets and goes oily, shouldn’t worry many cars up there though

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:23 pm 

ute265III, we live in between Allora and Warwick, and it's bloody hot here today. Mind you there's a few clouds hanging around, so that might be the reason, hopefully there is some rain coming to cool things down for the weekend.

Why is it that the thinner air makes them run slower?

See you on the weekend.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Gary, its just the basic altitude thing-the higher the altitude the less oxygen in the air so your engine is drawing in the same amount of fuel but now has less oxygen so becomes rich and the mix doesn't burn as efficiently etc, and the higher the humidity factor the more moisture there is in the air and obviously water doesn't burn,
so all things being equal, most cars will be at least a couple of tenths quicker in winter with cold dense air(oxygen rich, low relative altitude)) than summer with hot, thin humid air, (oxygen poor, high relative altitude).
I'm sure some of our tech guys could explain it better, but thats the basics.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:56 pm 

i think you have nailed it 8) its like a mountian climber, the higher up the hill he goes the more oxygen he needs outa his oxygen bottle, his fuel being blood, the less oxygen in the blood the less energy a body has. this is how nitrous was born, the more oxygen you can pump into a motor the more fuel you can burn giving more power..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:28 pm 

They say you learn something everyday, well I've just learnt. :D You both explained it just right, anymore technical and you would have lost me! :) Sometimes less is more.

Thank you both.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:20 pm 

:shock: Hey guys i was in warick myself today on my way home from big shawns 40th ,i went out the track for a look and a chat with the loy boys who were out mowing and doing the clean up ect and i can tell you it was lookin good out there and i thik it was hotter when i got home than out there .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:13 pm 

I know it's only tuesday, but liquid sunshine today. Something had to give with this heat!

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:29 pm 

Mate, I live in Stanthorpe and it hasn't made 20 today..... checked the local forecast and it will be fine for Fri & Sat and poss showers on Sunday , will update as week goes on. Don't let this stop you from coming as we all know how reliable the reports are

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:55 pm 

by the sounds of it there will be alot of cars entering on the day, me being one, pete

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:09 pm 

:shock: i personally am glad it has rained they had twenty mm in warwick last nite and nothing really today but it will settle the dust and cool it down ,a win win situation really the forcasts that i have looked at say its going to be a fine weekend BRING IT ONNNNNNNNN. nudy races yeahaaa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:21 pm 

Guys, don't get me wrong, I wasn't being negative, I was saying is that it has rained last night and today in Warwick and has cooled down with the rain. Maybe I should explain myself better in future. I am still required to go out there tomorrow and slash the grass for them.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:25 pm 

:shock: hey mate there shouldnt be to much to do it looked great on the weekend this rain will green it up a bit .